CDL (Commercial Driver’s License)

TruePoint Insurance LogoKey Insurance Words and Phrases




In order to drive a vehicle and/or trailer with a combined weight over 26,000 pounds, you are required to have a commercial driver’s license (aka a CDL.)¬† There are three different classes of CDL’s and six endorsements.¬† The classes¬†are:


Class A CDL

As previously stated, the operator of any truck and trailer with over 26,000 Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is required to have a CDL.  Additionally, the driver of any truck hauling (or pulling a trailer) with a GVW that exceeds 10,000 must have a Class A CDL.

Class B CDL

A Class B CDL is required to operate a vehicle with a combined weight of 26,001 pounds pulling another vehicle with a gross weight of that is less than 10,000 pounds.


Class C CDL

Drivers of passenger vehicles carrying 16 or more people are required to have a Class C CDL.  The same is true of vehicles hauling hazardous materials.


In addition to the 3 classes, are 6 endorsements.  These six endorsements indicate successful completion and testing, authorizing the driver to operate specific types of commercial vehicles:

Return to TruePoint Home Page

  1. School Buses
  2. Tankers
  3. authorization to pull more than one trailer
  4. Commercial vehicles transporting passengers
  5. Haz Mat
  6. Combination Haz Mat/Tankers





copyrighted 2015-2018 TruePoint insurance group, llc all rights reserved