CDL (Commercial Driver’s License)

TruePoint Insurance LogoKey Insurance Words and Phrases




In order to drive a vehicle and/or trailer with a combined weight over 26,000 pounds, you are required to have a commercial driver’s license (aka a CDL.)¬† There are three different classes of CDL’s and six endorsements.¬† The classes¬†are:


Class A CDL

As previously stated, the operator of any truck and trailer with over 26,000 Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is required to have a CDL.  Additionally, the driver of any truck hauling (or pulling a trailer) with a GVW that exceeds 10,000 must have a Class A CDL.

Class B CDL

A Class B CDL is required to operate a vehicle with a combined weight of 26,001 pounds pulling another vehicle with a gross weight of that is less than 10,000 pounds.


Class C CDL

Drivers of passenger vehicles carrying 16 or more people are required to have a Class C CDL.  The same is true of vehicles hauling hazardous materials.


In addition to the 3 classes, are 6 endorsements.  These six endorsements indicate successful completion and testing, authorizing the driver to operate specific types of commercial vehicles:

Return to TruePoint Home Page

  1. School Buses
  2. Tankers
  3. authorization to pull more than one trailer
  4. Commercial vehicles transporting passengers
  5. Haz Mat
  6. Combination Haz Mat/Tankers





copyrighted 2015-2018 TruePoint insurance group, llc all rights reserved

Trucking Insurance: Trailer Interchange Coverage

Trailer interchange insurance provides Physical Damage coverage for non-owned trailers operating under the authority of a trailer interchange agreement. While coverage will vary from policy to policy, the intent of a trailer interchange policy is to cover losses stemming from accidents, theft, vandalism, fire, and explosion.
Understanding the covered causes of loss is essential prior to purchasing a policy. Understanding the amount of coverage, or limit, is essential before binding a policy. At the heart of this issue is the value of the trailer. After all, the entire purpose of this policy is to provide for a replacement trailer of equal value should damage occur under the drivers watch. Be that as it may, coverage limits are predominately a function of the trailer providers. Most providers have a set limit, which typically ranges between $20,000 and $25,000.  Before contracting drivers will be required to show proof of coverage which meets or exceeds their requirements.
Drivers and insurance agents alike, can at times confuse Trailer interchange insurance and Non-Owned trailer coverage. While similar in several ways, they are undeniably, not the same. A simple, two question test should be sufficient to determine which policy fits your needs:
1. Who is responsible for the trailer when it is not attached to your truck?
  • If YOU are, then a trailer interchange policy should fit as it will cover the trailer when not attached to a power unit. The non-owned trailer coverage will only cover the trailer while attached to your truck.
2. Will you be operating under a written trailer interchange agreement?
  • If NO, then a trailer interchange policy will not be the answer. Trailer interchange policies provide coverage only while operating under a Written Trailer Interchange Agreement.
For additional information feel free to visit our website at or contact us at (502) 410-5089.