Living in Fisherville, KY puts some of the most beautiful parts of the country right in your backyard. With winter starting, boat owners need to plan a storage strategy for their watercraft. Proper boat storage prolongs the life of your investment, it keeps it safe from damage and theft and ensures that it’s ready when you need it. Use these tips to make sure your watercraft is wrapped up tight before the winter weather stays.
- Empty and sanitize coolers and cooking equipment. Dry thoroughly before wrapping in plastic.
- Sweep and mop floors, ceilings, windows, and walls. Use a wet-dry vacuum to remove all traces of moisture.
- Remove rugs, curtains, and other fabric accessories. Take them to the cleaners or run them through the washer. Wrap in plastic for storage.
- Go through all cabinets and cubbies. Remove anything that could spoil, leak, or cause a fire hazard.
- Flush the cooling system with water to remove dirt. Drain all water from the engine.
- Empty the fuel tanks to prevent damage-causing condensation.
- Use an aerosol cleaner to remove gunk and corrosion from the fuel system and other engine parts.
- Change the oil and top off other fluids.
- If you can, remove the starting batteries. Store them in a dry, warm place. Cold weather drains battery power and makes them unreliable even after charging.
Don’t forget to call your insurance company. Most boat insurance policies allow you to suspend coverage when your boat is laid up for the winter.
Need to know more about boat insurance? TruePoint Insurance serves the Fisherville, KY area with policies for all of your important possessions. Contact the agents at TruePoint Insurance to learn more about protecting your motorized toys.